Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Spaghetti

Lately I haven't been able to eat enough spaghetti. This has always been one of my comfort food. As a child I would sit at the table long after everyone else was done consuming plates of the magical stuff. Unfortunately, I ate with a child's gusto slurping the noodles over my chin, which would often result in rashes over my face and cortisone creams galore before my parents finally discovered what it was causing them.

My tastes in spaghetti have matured and now I prefer meatless sauces over rotini pasta, sometimes with cream and vodka, sometimes plain with parmesean cheese. My current favorite I got from the book "The Amateur Gourmet" which also has an accompanying blog. Mini-Me helps stir the sauce so he thinks it tastes better because he helped. He also eats it better when he has a part in making it. It's very simple and employs ingredients that are standards in my pantry - canned tomatoes, onions, garlic, carrots, thyme. I like it because it's vegetarian. My husband likes it because it has a stronger flavor so he can't tell if I'm using his despised whole wheat pasta or not. It also keeps really well in the freezer so it pays to make the bigger batch.

For those interested, here's a link to my favorite pasta sauce.

No comments: