Thursday, April 30, 2009

Book Review - Shopaholic


I don't know why I wanted to Confessions of a Shopaholic. I admit that I do - GASP - read "chick-lit". Still, this book didn't seem to be in my normal reading area. All I know is that it's popular. Well I was right, it wasn't my book. The main character is Becky Bloomwood, a shopaholic. Bex keeps me from identifying with this book. She would rather shop than work, and cannot accept the consequences of her actions in the form of credit card bills from hell. Her bank manager keeps trying to contact her regarding her outstanding balance and she keeps avoiding him. When her neighbors are treated poorly in a business deal, she writes an article for a tabloid exposing the insurance companies scam. This leads to a television appearance which leads to a job which will get her out of debt. No, Becky doesn't have to learn her lesson and she gets a boy friend out of it as well. This book seemed too fantastic, even for escape literature. I won't be reading it again.

No comments: