Thursday, September 10, 2009

First Day

On my first day of kindergarten, my mother tried to affix a blue Christmas bow to the barette in my hair. I remember her telling me that it was because all little Jewish girls wore bows in their hair on their first day of school. What does that matter I wonder. I was dressed in a little green dress with a white pinafore. I told my brother the correct way to draw a person, with two eyes one nose, one moth two arms and legs. I'm not sure why I felt that it was important for him to know how to do that.

On the first day I was seated at table two in the classroom next to my neighbor, Carrie Asberry. I was in the corner closest to the carpet and the teachers desk. I brought my Mischa bear with me and held it on the carpet during circle time. I sat behind a boy named Shawn Aragon and I remember thinking that I thought he was wearing a diaper, but it was the way his shirt was tucked into his pants.. Mrs. Beasley introduced me to Katy Wells, another girl I wonder what happened to.

No comments: